Subject: 2nd RFD:comp.graphics.packages.lightwave
From: djmccoy (Daniel J. McCoy)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 08:57:43 -0700 (PDT)

The second RFD was posted to news.announce.newgroups recently so I'll post
it to the list.  Some still feel the name of the newsgroup needs to change
and I can't stress enough that if you want a say in the matter, please
participate in the RFD discussion on news.groups.  It appears a new 21 day
RFD cycle has begun so the CFV is also delayed.  Please don't send responses
via e-mail.  I know not everyone has access to the usenet newsgroups and I'm
still looking for someone or someplace that can pass messages to/from the
list to/from the newsgroup.  Please post all responses to news.groups.
 
Thank you.
Dan
-<- Here we go ->-
This is a second draft of the RFD now with a new proposed newsgroup name
that appears to be accepted by quite a few discussion participants.  If
all goes well, we can proceed with the CFV.  This time around, this post 
should also be posted to comp.graphics, which was missed the first time
around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
                               Second Post
                    comp.graphics.packages.lightwave

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group Name:     comp.graphics.packages.lightwave
Status:         Unmoderated
Summary:        Discussion of all aspects of Lightwave 3D, a 3D modeling,
                rendering and animation package from NewTek Inc.
Distribution:   World
Proposed by:    Daniel J. McCoy ([email-masked])

This is a formal request for discussion on the creation of a new
newsgroup that caters to NewTek's Lightwave 3D, a 3D modeling, 
rendering and animation package.  The discussion period will last 21 days 
provided no outstanding issues result that prevent the move for a CFV.

CHARTER
-------

This unmoderated newsgroup proposed as
comp.graphics.packages.lightwave will be used for the discussion of
NewTek Inc's Lightwave 3D, a 3D modeling and rendering package.  Topics
appropriate to this newsgroup will include but are not limited to:

     * General questions and answers on using Lightwave 3D.
     * Product announcements relating to Lightwave 3D and third party
       products that benefit Lightwave 3D.
     * Rexx macros to enhance Layout and Modeler usage.
     * Optimizing options to get the most out of Lightwave 3D.

As Lightwave 3D is scheduled to be released for Windows, WindowsNT and
SGI platforms by the end of the year, the following topics are examples
of what is not appropriate to discuss in this proposed newsgroup:

     * Platform specific discussions which should be directed to their
       appropriate newsgroups.
     * Lightwave oriented product advertising should be limited to brief
       messages pointing to an e-mail address or phone number to get
       further information.
     * Advertising platform specific products should be directed to the
       appropriate platform newsgroups.

BACKGROUND
----------

In the past, Lightwave 3D was only distributed with the Video Toaster
which limited it's use to those living in countries where NTSC was the
video standard.  However, Lightwave 3D is now also available as a
standalone package for ALL Amiga owners.  In addition, NewTek Inc. 
announced at Siggraph '94 that Lightwave 3D will be ported to Windows,
WindowsNT, and SGI platforms by the end of 1994.  Lightwave 3D is used by
a great number of professionals and hobbyists for a wide variety of uses
and projects.  TV shows such as Babylon 5, seaQuest and RoboCop are
examples of where Lightwave 3D is used.

RATIONALE
---------

Currently, there is a mailing list dedicated to Lightwave 3D with a
subscriber base of approximately 500 users with an average of 25-30
messages a day.  Since the release of the standalone version and the
announcement at Siggraph, interest has grown and so has the mailing list.
Due to subscriber responses, it may be appropriate for a new newsgroup to
be created to take the place of this mailing list in an effort to expand
the user base and information sharing on Lightwave 3D.

It has also been expressed by several subscribers that don't have Usenet
newsgroup access that perhaps a mail gateway can be created for access to
this newsgroup.  I am unable to provide such a service, however I would
like to hear from anyone who can personally.

This newsgroup will require a new hierarchy be created within comp.graphics
that allows for a more structured growth for graphic package oriented
newsgroups such as the proposed comp.graphic.packages.lightwave newsgroup.
New newsgroups within comp.graphics.packages have already been posted in
other RFDs.

CROSS POSTINGS
--------------

This RFD is being posted to the following newsgroups:

news.announce.newgroups
news.groups
comp.sys.amiga.graphics
comp.graphics
comp.sys.sgi.graphics
comp.os.ms-windows.apps
comp.graphics.raytracing

and the mailing list,
[email-masked].  

Discussion will take place in the group "news.groups" for a period of 21
days.  If there are no outstanding issues, a Call For Votes (CFV) will be
posted, after which an independent third party will conduct the vote.

-- 
Daniel J. McCoy                                                           //
Internet : [email-masked], [email-masked]     Portal: Daniel J McCoy  \X/
        or [email-masked]           BIX: dmccoy         Amiga